Tuesday 3 March 2009

Instant Media

What are the seven deadly sins of modern communications? My questionnaire highlighted spelling as a bugbear - I now see it everywhere. From that long email thread started by me, with a cheery 'Gi'(instead of Hi) through to howling typos on home pages.

How often have we scanned an email quickly and shot off a reply without really taking in what we are reading. I had a classic example today, where I was trying to correct something, only to find that when I discussed the error that was the only thing noted and not the fact that it was an error. So, an email had been read and the facts had been understood as the exact opposite of what I had intended to convey.

Can I learn from this, I wonder? With my website, how can I set in place protocol for lax speed readers? How will I be able to fulfil customer's wishful thinking, that may not match with the merchandise? I am sure that there is little that I can do. maybe, my new twittering habit will be a great exercise in how to convey information clearly and succinctly. Or maybe I just need to work out how to start a global Chinese whisper (or should that be on-line WikiWhisper?)
So, 'Send three and fourpence, we're going to a dance', anyone?

No comments: